In today’s global marketplace, NMSU competes with academic institutions across the state, nation and around the world, making it more important than ever to project a single, readily identifiable image of excellence to the public. Our logo is the common thread throughout all university digital and print communications and establishes credibility immediately.
For these reasons, the official NMSU logo — described here as the institutional mark — should be used consistently in all NMSU communications, digital and print. Avoid altering the NMSU institutional mark in any way.
NMSU encourages its departments, laboratories and other units to use the NMSU institutional mark for identification and promotion purposes on educational materials (posters, presentation and conference items, for example). Please adhere to the following guidelines when using the official NMSU logo.
- The NMSU institutional mark must not be altered or modified in any way.
- When partnerships (with external funding agencies, other universities or government labs) require using the NMSU institutional mark and the outside partner’s logo, that setup should be reviewed by NMSU Marketing and Communications to ensure proper use. However, the NMSU institutional mark can be displayed (without being combined or altered in any way) as a partner logo.
- When planning an NMSU special event (e.g. Homecoming) that may involve a theme logo in addition to the NMSU institutional mark, the group planning the special event should coordinate with NMSU Marketing and Communications for approval of a limited use, special event logo. In the policy manual, these rules can be found: arp.nmsu.edu/15-80
The advisory logo committee: The Advisory Logo Committee meets on an ad hoc basis. The committee provides assistance and advice regarding the proposed use of the NMSU institutional mark and/or other protected trademarks. For more information, contact NMSU Marketing and Communications at 575-646-3221 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Athletics marks: The NMSU Department of Athletics uses primary, secondary and cultural marks, and manages these protected marks through a licensing program administered by the IMG College Licensing.
Departmental or internal use of marks for merchandise
The institutional and Athletics marks on this page (except the University seal) are available for official, internal use by NMSU departments. Official, internal use includes shirts or uniforms for staff; giveaways for promotions or recruiting; and fundraising. We recommend using an IMG College Licensing approved vendor for ease in ordering and approval. Use of protected NMSU marks must be reviewed and approved by NMSU Marketing and Communications.
Non-educational and retail uses: Third parties and NMSU personnel seeking to use the NMSU institutional mark, NMSU Athletics marks or any other protected trademarks for promoting non-educational events or for retail purposes must follow restrictions outlined in a licensing agreement administered by IMG College Licensing. If you have any questions, please contact NMSU Marketing and Communications at 575-646-7557 or email@example.com.
University seal: The seal is restricted for use by and for the Board of Regents and the Office of the Chancellor, with limited exceptions as authorized by the Board of Regents or the Chancellor. The official university seal shall be used only for formal university business, including but not limited to, the diplomas issued to graduates, select and official documents and commemorative items and awards. Requests or questions on usage should be directed to the NMSU Chancellor/President’s Office, Chief of Staff at 575-646-2035.
Still have questions? Please contact NMSU Marketing Services at 575-646-7557 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The official NMSU mark, described here as the NMSU institutional mark, should appear prominently on all communications representing the university.
- Use the official NMSU page header that contains the institutional mark.
- The NMSU institutional mark should link to the NMSU Home Page at http://nmsu.edu.
- Aside from the page header, the NMSU logo should appear rarely, if at all, on your NMSU website.
- Mark must be at least a half-inch high.
- Use the mark without the word “University” when the mark is 1 inch or
- The color of the background you are placing the mark on should
determine whether you use a crimson, black or white mark. Make your
decision based on what will give the logo the greatest visibility.
- Use the mark with the tagline and mark setup if your design permits.
Improper use of the mark, either in print or on the Web, damages its ability to clearly and consistently represent the university. Do not use mark inside of other images to create new artwork.
The NMSU institutional mark represents all members of the university family. All departments and offices should use the NMSU institutional mark along with the unit name; by proudly utilizing it, each department, office and unit is represented as an integral piece within the university.
We would be happy to produce an NMSU unit setup for your unit, please contact us at 575-646-7557 or email@example.com. Below are guidelines for and examples of NMSU unit setups in both horizontal and vertical formats.
- The logo setup is incorporated into the official NMSU page header.
- Aside from the page header, the NMSU logo setup should appear rarely, if at all, on your NMSU website.
- Use the Gotham typeface or one of the recommended substitutes.
- The “BE BOLD. Shape the Future.” tagline is 4 points smaller than the university
name and URL.
- Font Weights to use:
- Use Gotham Black weight for BE BOLD.
- Use Gotham Medium weight for Shape the Future.
- Use Gotham Black weight for College, Department, or Program Name
- Leading is set on Auto.
- Do not use ackronyms.
These are just examples of what the unit setups should look like. To get your unit
setup you can contact NMSU Marketing and Communications 575-646-3221 or
NMSU marks and student organizations
NMSU chartered student organizations may use the university name in official titles; however, these organizations are not permitted to use other elements of the NMSU brand. If you have any questions, please contact NMSU Marketing and Communications 575-646-3221 or